DC: New Number Ones

And the news just continues to hit us. Some of the rumors have been confirmed; some have been contradicted. And there's still plenty more information coming.

Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang take on Wonder Woman, which isn't a creative team I expected but one I can support wholeheartedly. Forget Straczynski--this is the all-star team I've been waiting for. Azzarello is mostly associated with crime and noir titles, but he's proven his worth on the more fantastic books, too. I can't wait to see him tackle Diana. And Cliff Chiang is one of my favorite artists in the industry. Everything he draws is simply stunning. Most importantly, though? This pair was responsible for the brilliant Doctor Thirteen: Architecture and Morality run, and I've been waiting to see them reunite ever since.

A new The Flash is confirmed. Prior to the announcement that Johns was leaving the franchise, he was the half of the previous creative team I expected to stick around--but instead, Francis Manapul returns to art duties. The creative dynamic has changed a bit, though--while Manapul is still on art duties, he's also writing the title. Meanwhile, Brian Buccatello is joining Manapul for both scripting and art (presumably finishes and fill-ins). I have no idea who Buccatello is, but after Flashpoint, all eyes are on the Flash--DC must have high confidence in this creative team.

Gail Simone and Ethan Van Sciver finally collaborate--with both of them writing The Fury of Firestorm. Indie comics writer Brian Clevinger was originally attached to the project, but I'm much happier with this creative team, and I love Van Sciver's redesign of the character. Both Jason and Ronnie have unique, solo Firestorm looks--and when combined, they become something bigger than themselves, a truly inhuman elemental force. And we can't forget Yildiray Cinar on art duties. Cinar's been doing a great job on his Legion run, but his real talent shines through in his sketches, where he's free to experiment in style without being restrained by in-house inkers. I hope that they give him more creative freedom on this book, because I think that he could really go up against (and work with) Ethan Van Sciver to truly define the character's look.

Oops--James Robinson isn't on Hawkman (and Nicieza isn't on Teen Titans). But the creative team for The Savage Hawkman is Tony Daniel and Philip Tan...again, this doesn't make it a book I'm jumping to buy. Brett Booth is on Teen Titans, though, so there's that.

Also, a new OMAC series is launching by Dan Didio and Keith Giffen. ...it'll look soooo pretty, at least?

His days in the forest are over, and Green Arrow is back to superhero action! J.T. Krul continues scripting, and as appropriate for the more traditional direction, superhero extraordinaire artist Dan Jurgens is pencilling. Truthfully, I don't have much to say about this. Krul has captured Ollie's voice in the most recent series, but the plot didn't floor me, even with its ties to Brightest Day. Maybe with this new run, he'll change my mind.

Speaking of Dan Jurgens, though--he's the new writer for Justice League International, with a lineup both familiar and surprising. Booster Gold (I love the new costume), Fire, Ice and Rocket Red all continue over from Generation Lost, as does Batman (but which Batman? If you look closely, there's no yellow circle on this Batman either. Is that design element gone already? Are there even multiple Batmen anymore?) But Guy Gardner has returned to to the JLI as well, and appropriate newcomers Vixen and August-General-In-Iron help round out the roster. And then there's the final character, an unidentified female. I have no idea who this is--does anyone? My first guess is Gypsy, or even a very-much redesigned Donna Troy to represent Themyscira in an international line-up. Or maybe she's even a new character. I'm glad to see Aaron Loprestri sticking around as illustrator, but I'm a little disappointed Dan Jurgens is taking over instead of Judd Winick, who really made the JLI relevant for the first time in a long time. I guess this means that Booster Gold won't be returning, though. Also of note are Captain Atom and Blue Beetle's absences. One is somewhat explained, though:

J.T. Krul and Freddie E. Williams II launch a Captain Atom ongoing that seems to touch on aspects of the character as developed in the alternate realities of Watchmen and Superman Beyond. It's an interesting place to go with the mainstream version of the character, and given his military views it could also make for a serious dynamic. I'm just not sold on the idea of Krul writing it--but maybe I'm wrong. I hope he proves me wrong. At least the interiors will be full of energy, though--Williams II is excellent at that.

Deadman headlines not Adventure Comics, but DC Universe Presents, in an arc by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang. Jenkins can be hit or miss sometimes, but he's best with stories that explore a character's psyche, which is absolutely perfect for Deadman, and Bernard Chang is a solid, reliable storyteller. This will be a rotating book each arc, though--I wonder who else we can expect?

Finally, Mr. Terriffic gets an ongoing series and a new look, and I love it. There's going to be a serious science and technology thing going on here, and Eric Wallace should do a great job with it. Roger Robinson is a surprise, but I guess a good fit after his run on The Web.

All in all, there's a lot to be excited about here. So. What's next?

Comments

  1. I'm very excited about the announcements today. Some of my favorite creators (Gail Simone, Francis Manapul, Yildiray Cinar, Cliff Chiang) and characters (Firestorm, Mr. Terrific, Captain Atom), are involved so what's not to like? The descriptions at DC's blog make some of the titles sound like complete reboots -- Ronnie Raymond is a "high school student", Mr. Terrific is one of the world's "most eligible bachelors" -- but, to my surprise, I find that doesn't bother me as long as we get good stories.

    The announcement that all the new titles will be available digitally on the same day as print is also really exciting. The pricing isn't as low as I'd like -- $2.99 dropping to $1.99 after four weeks -- but I guess they have to tread lightly until the effect on the comic store market is seen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Kirkman: Invincible, Walking Dead, Wolf-Man

more random readings from May 2009

Best descriptive 2013 title: Vampire Vixens of the Wehrmacht