Dynamite Reading

Thanks to fellow refugee Bill, I will reviewing two Volumes of BATTLEFIELDS written by Garth Ennis (Preacher, etc.) and published by Dynamite Entertainment. These were originally released as single issues.


Volume One is " The Night Witches" and tells the story of two Russian bomber squadrons, one male, one female, who fight to save their motherland from a German invasion. Lots of action, gore and personality as we experience the battle from both sides. Art is by Russ Braun (Jack of Hearts) and suits this tale well. Recommended.

Volume Two is "Dear Billy" and tells the story of a nurse stationed in Singapore during the Japanese invasion of WWII and the horror and despair she lives with day after day. I feel that to say more about this particular volume would ruin such an amazing and well crafted story. This one is my favorite of the two. Art is by Peter Snejbjerg (The Mighty) and fits like a glove. Volume Three of this series will be called "The Tankies". I don't know if it's out yet, but after tasting these two literary meals, I will be definitely be going back for thirds.

Comments

  1. Welcome to the writers' group, Dan !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read the first issue of the nurse story when it came out, liked it, and then lost track of it. I'll order the trade now that I know it's available.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Kirkman: Invincible, Walking Dead, Wolf-Man

more random readings from May 2009

Best descriptive 2013 title: Vampire Vixens of the Wehrmacht