Blackest Night is the DCU event you’ve been waiting for.

I just read Blackest Night #1, and since I don’t know if it will become hard to find I didn’t want to wait until my usual review to make this statement: This is the book that is the next (last?) chapter of the story of the DCU that started in Identity Crisis and continued through Infinite Crisis, 52, etc. I’ve long said that a lot of the disappointment in Final Crisis was that people were led to believe it was that chapter when it wasn’t. But it’s here now, so don’t hesitate to go out and get it if that’s what you’ve been waiting for.

Comments

  1. It was pointed out to me by someone else that Grant Morrison writes the artsy stories, while Geoff Johns writes the huge blockbuster events. The former usually offers more reread value, but the latter is what pulls you in and really gets that "event" feel.

    I mean, I know that when Infinite Crisis was going on, I ran to BC as soon as possible every week to get the every issue that even referenced it. I still hold the experience of that event in high regard...but going back to reread it, it loses a lot of its appeal. It's certainly not a bad story, but when a large part of the enjoyment was the "I can't wait to see what happens next" factor, you don't really get that on a re-read, you know?

    Anyway, I ordered this miniseries monthly, mostly because it's going to cross over with Adventure Comics and R.E.B.E.L.S. Also, eighty-seven cents for the first issue was not a deal I could pass up. Mail Order Comics shipped my first July shipment to me yesterday, and it should arrive on Monday, but I have no idea if the comics released yesterday will be in that order or not. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Kirkman: Invincible, Walking Dead, Wolf-Man

more random readings from May 2009

Best descriptive 2013 title: Vampire Vixens of the Wehrmacht