Best Of The Year? = Nope! - - - Just Some Suggested Reading

At one point a few months back I was contemplating trying to organize a BC Refugees Annual Awards and hinted at it in one of my reviews.  Time marched on and I never acted on that impulse.  Then I thought about doing my own version of the “Best Of”  awards for 2010.  But I wouldn’t feel right about selecting “best of” books unless I had the opportunity to read the majority of what was published in 2010 - -  and who has that kind of time?   For as much time as I devoted to this blog, I still only wrote about 75 individual issues during the past 12 months.  That hardly qualifies me as a judge of what is “best”.

However, not doing anything isn’t satisfying my urges - - so I offer this compromise.   I’m not going to even venture to select the cream of the 2010 crop or even label one book as “the best” in category, etc.  I’m going to offer some suggested reading instead.

These are my guidelines/rules:

1) It has to be something that I wrote about on this blog site.  (That really eliminates a lot, since I read far more than I could find time to write about - - - and much of it I regret not doing so).

2) It has to be a book that I would personally recommend to a friend.  It has to be an exceptional work  - - one that I would gladly read again.  

3) Rather than create a bunch of categories and fit books, writers and artists into them (maybe next year)  - - I’m just going to select books that are worthy of your attention if you missed them the first time around.  I will stick a label on them just to put some kind of organization on this whole thing.

I’m finally ready now - - - - - - I present to you =

 THE PGHHEAD PICKS OF 2010

GRAPHIC NOVEL BASED ON A SERIES CHARACTER:  HELLBLAZER: PANDEMONIUM  (see January archives for review)

ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL:  BB WOLF & THE THREE LPs   (see November archives for review)

SCIENCE-FICTION SERIES:  LOGAN’S RUN: LAST DAY   (see January, April and August archives for reviews)

YOUNG ADULT MINI-SERIES: MUPPET KING ARTHUR  (see February archives for review)

CRIME MOVIE PREQUEL – DIE HARD: YEAR ONE #1-4 (see April archives for review)

FANTASY-HORROR SERIES:  THE SIXTH GUN  (see May, August and September archives for review)

HORROR ANTHOLOGY: BELA LUGOSI’S TALES FROM THE GRAVE #1 (see November archives for review)

FAVORITE COVER: EDGE OF DOOM #1  (see November archives for review)

NEW SUPER-HERO SERIES:  SOLDIER ZERO  (see November and December archives for reviews)

SINGLE-ISSUE CRIME BOOK:  PUNISHERMAX: TINY UGLY WORLD (see November archives for review)

I personally recommend every single one of these titles.  I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.  Maybe for 2011 I can expand on these “picks”  and create some categories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Kirkman: Invincible, Walking Dead, Wolf-Man

more random readings from May 2009

Best descriptive 2013 title: Vampire Vixens of the Wehrmacht